Thursday 15 November 2012

TASK 6b: My Developed Observation

Very pleased with the design of my Pilot Observation, I organised to carry out the task within a school I practice at. I spoke the teacher through it and explained that it was designed around the same schools assessment framework, we sat and discussed what I was doing as a way to address any ethical concerns.

At first what I was looking for seemed to be suffice, as the lesson continued I found it a great tool for watching and noticing things that happen in my practice. I feel excited by this tool, by watching fellow practitioners with the organised method of my observation, I am positive I will extract the data I feel vital to my inquiry.

Upon reflection after however, there was a technical aspect to the observation I needed to improve on. The category boxes worked, but the headings above them were in full sentences. This made it hard to follow. Getting myself flustered and struggling to follow which box was where, my note taking became a slow and i was missing important happenings within the class. In order for my observation to become as efficient as possible I needed to make it user friendly. I have condensed the headings of each category down to two words. This will help me identify the category boxes easier and react faster to what I'm seeing. The important thing here is to allow the time after the observation to reflect on what I saw. As after time, my notes would make no sense. It's about planning ahead and being efficient.

Here is the new observation design...


Pilot Observation

Intro

Who am I?
I am a student at Middlesex University, studying on the BAPP programme.
What’s my research?
I wish to inquire about the transitional journey from actor or performer to teacher. Exploring the change in approach and concept to the practitioner's practice, the steps that need to be taken to get there and the transferable skills a practitioner already has. The questions and research will guide my steps as I make changes from actor to teacher and act as preparation for teacher training. The inquiry will not only inform myself along this transitional journey, but will become a useful guide to future practitioners wishing to learn about becoming a teacher, both on the BAPP programme and beyond.
Ethics.
Any information is confidential. Please state if you prefer to remain anonymous. Please carry on as you would in a normal classroom situation. It is important that I capture what happens without any influence of being observed.

Teacher Relationship with Students

Teacher Presence…








Student Response…








Atmosphere….








Control…








The lesson and learning

Teacher task communication…







Adaptability…








Creativity…








Engaged in different student levels…









The Teacher

Approach to teaching…








Method of demonstration…








Energy and passion…








Student feedback…








No comments:

Post a Comment