Thursday 8 November 2012

TASK 6a: My Pilot Observation

Observation is an important tool for me and although time consuming, I think it will prove valuable to what I'm trying to find out. "Knowledge is Practice" (Ahmet, A), claims my journal and I think in the watching and analysis of what other practitioners do, will be a valuable source of research. Then with comparing it to what they think they know and do by talking to them. I can gain a rounded and balanced collection of results. As soon as the observation is done, I would need to sit and reflect on the notes in the category boxes and write a report on what I found. This will transfer my notes to that of something i can collect and understand at the point of analysis.

I decided to design my observation based on a school teacher assessment sheet. Last year I was asked to plan a class with a teacher but I would facilitate the class and the other teacher would assess me, to see where i was at and get me used to being watched. I found the assessment a good place to start as it provided a good indication for what I should be looking for. Then I can compare my observations based on teacher background and experience.

SIG - Please comment below and provide any useful points that I may need to develop/re-consider.


Pilot Observation

Intro

Who am I?
I am a student at Middlesex University, studying on the BAPP programme.

What’s my research?
I wish to inquire about the transitional journey from actor or performer to teacher. Exploring the change in approach and concept to the practitioner's practice, the steps that need to be taken to get there and the transferable skills a practitioner already has. The questions and research will guide my steps as I make changes from actor to teacher and act as preparation for teacher training. The inquiry will not only inform myself along this transitional journey, but will become a useful guide to future practitioners wishing to learn about becoming a teacher, both on the BAPP programme and beyond.

Ethics
Any information is confidential. Please state if you prefer to remain anonymous. Please carry on as you would in a normal classroom situation. It is important that I capture what happens without any influence of being observed.

Teacher Relationship with Students

Teacher Presence…





Student respect and behaviour issues…





Learning atmosphere created….





General control of class…





The lesson and learning

Lesson objectives and task communication…





Met any student needs and supported to carry out task…





Student control and creativity over their work…





Engaged with the different levels with the class…





The Teacher

General approach to teaching…





Method of demonstration…





Energy and passion for subject…





Method of feedback to students…





3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Ahmet - I like the relationship you are making between the professional practice required in the workplace and the design for you observation. This is a 'trail' go with friends - not a 'real' person - who are you observing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paula,

    I think I am discovering the true meaning of work-based research. My thinking was that if I based my questions or observations on what my practice also tends to look at, I would be researching along side what already happens in my practice. This hopefully means that what I am observing will inform me of what I wish to know. As we discussed, there is no point in researching something you already know. Nor is it useful to observe something you won't find useful, it became apparent that by observing and comparing the things that I will eventually be measured for, will prove a use to my future practice...

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also Paula,
    I understand that this is a pilot, I have decided to to a mock observation on a colleague I team teach with. I will arrange to watch and carry out the pilot for the first half hour of the class, just to allow me to get a taster of what it will be like. then I can reflect and develop, ready for the real thing next year...

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete