Wednesday 31 October 2012

TASK 5b: Code of Conduct

In task 5a I began to think about my work ethics. This proved quite difficult. It's not everyday one sits and questions their morals on a day to day basis. I turned a work place code of conduct, to compare what I would find there.

Jo Richardson Community School: Underpinning Values.


  • A child's welfare is paramount. Each child has the right to be protected from harm.
  • Each child is unique. Action taken by child welfare should be child centre, taking into account culture, ethnic background, religion, sexual orientation and special needs.
  • Children, carers and parents should be made aware of their responsibilities.
  • Each child has the right to be consulted about their actions and consideration given to their understanding and feelings.
  • Individual family members must not be involved in decisions affecting them. 
  • Open-mindedness and honesty must guide each stage of assessment.
  • Personal information is usually confidential. It should only be shared with permission.
  • Professionals should be aware of outside interventions on children.
  • Explanations to children and parents should be plainly written and jargon-free.
  • Sound professional practice is based upon positive inter-agency, evidence-based research and effective supervision and evaluation. 
I found these really interesting. Some I live by everyday and some I break every second. What I notice in comparison to my first look at my ethics. Is that I wrote them down as a list of rules, dos and don'ts. I know realise that ethics is a much more complex matter than I have been thinking. The notion of Ethics is more a feeling over what I do at work. An area of which has room for approach and exploration. It's not a question or do and don't, it's more a suggestion of moral theme within my work.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ahmet, I found this task interesting too. Looking at my initial 'ethics' despite its truths, it appears as more of my 'rules' as a performer. Whereas upon reflection this is not the case, as you said, it is more than that. I really like how you have defined and portrayed this statement within your post. I also started looking at ethics within media, which is such a broad topic, and found many cross overs between ethics within dance and performance as my established career and that of the media. Have you carried many of your established ethics as a performer over to 'teacher' in the classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simone,

    It's a tough area for me. Drama and performing being such a personable subject, it feels wrong to facilitate my classes in a traditional classroom atmosphere. Behaviour management can be a killer for trust and emotional performance work. I think i have developed a method that works for me though, my approach is a more level practitioners guider feel as appose to 'teacher'. However, if they ask personal questions I let them in a little, but i never disclose personal facts or details. Foe example, my students know I am engaged to be married, they saw the ring and as kinds do, they asked straight away. It was nice to confirm it, they got excited and felt that I too was human and it created a nice working atmosphere. However as soon as they asked to who and when or where. I said, back to work and made it clear that that is a far as I would go. This gave me the trust of a director but the presence and respect of a teacher...

    What works for you?

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete