Friday 26 October 2012

TASK 5a: My Ethics

I don't think I have ever sat down and thought to record ethics within my practice, I don't even know how or when I began to gather the set of ideas I call my ethics. However be adhering to them, I teach different children five days a week. Working in education obviously has is code of conduct in place and a very tight one if that. This brings me to the idea that ethics aren't just something you learn, you don't do a short course in it for example. It's about a feeling or a sense. I guess i have my ethics in place because of my community of practice, it's the people within my networks that inform me of the do's and don'ts with my work. It will be interesting for the first time to sit, reflect and discover what ethics am i actually aware of and what do I just subconsciously do because that's the way it's done - for the moment, until it changes...

Teaching Drama Ethics

Behaviour: I should lead by example. I should bring the same commitment and dedication to the classroom that I expect back from the students. There needs to be a balance between behaving relaxed enough to create a comfortable learning atmosphere, but not so relaxed that students feel they can break boundaries.

Language: Again lead by example. My language needs to be that of a teacher and not a friend. I say teacher, not in the traditional sense but as an informed professional person who demands authority and respect. Any personal words such as mate or darling I steer clear from and I wouldn't expect any of the students to give me an informal 'nickname'.

Personal life: Whilst drama is a personable creative subject, it's important that I keep my personal life and my opinions of the way life should be lived to myself. It could be dangerous to force any kind of personal insight into a professional atmosphere.  Any picture students create that is something other than professional of me, can mare their perspective of teacher/student relationship.

Discipline: Physical contact should be kept to a minimum within the classroom. Discipline needs to be productive and fair. Rather seen as punishment, it needs to focus on fixing the problem. Secrets should not be promised and any information that is deemed as dangerous should be reported.

Creativity: Each student needs to feel comfortable and have the means to excel through drama. There should be no negativity or disruptions that breaks the creativity. Every student needs to feel able to grow and explore their ideas.

This have been a difficult task, I feel like there must be so much more that happens without me knowing. Next step is to look at one of my schools code of conduct details to explore this notion further.

4 comments:

  1. hi ahmet great reading your task as it seems your on the same page as me, ethics are something you do day to day in your teaching profession but it is not really something you actively think about day to day, there is no 'set rule book' on the correct ethics for a teacher. i think it is something that you have to learn over time and to change and adapt from other peoples ideas, mistakes you may make, or new ideas you have yourself.
    i particularly like that you stated about using correct language. That is something that most teachers commonly do day to day, and i myself do it without actively noting it as an ethic so from your blog i have learnt something about myself, thank you.
    i look forward to seeing it develop once you have sought out the schools code of conduct and i shall now be doing the same.

    steph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steph,

    Yes I absolutely agree. Something really interesting came up at the Campus Session yesterday. Rather than Ethics being something you sit and learn, rather it's a sensation or a feeling within. Hence why we have never sat down and materialised our work ethics. It's just something we feel as the right or wrong action...

    I'll take a look at yours

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ahmet, that analogy sounds amazing! I really didn't now how to initially portray my own ethics either. As I thought about them though I do think that they can be traced back to something that has been installed in us as performers do you not think? We all seem to be identifying a similar view point when approaching our practice, though we have our own thoughts, feelings and values, do you think we could have been influenced somewhere along the line?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Simone. In the performing industry people call it 'being professional'. "That's not very professional" or "I'm trying to be professional", are things I'm sure you have heard in auditions, rehearsals or socially. I guess I'm learning that this idea is linked to professional ethics and that comes from training as a performer. Whist training it was all about behaving as the professionals do in order to be accepted into the profession. We have an understanding of the moral values of the professional performer. It's from this platform that we carry our influence into our careers I think. There is also the idea of family upbringing, this id very deep as the very way you were brought up effects your personal ethics, thus effecting you professional ethics. Complex stuff hey?!

    ReplyDelete