Monday 15 October 2012

My Area of Inquiry


I wish to inquire about the transitional journey from actor or performer to teacher. Exploring the change in approach and concept to the practitioner's practice, the steps that need to be taken to get there and the transferable skills a practitioner already has. The questions and research will guide my steps as I make changes from actor to teacher and act as preparation for teacher training. The inquiry will not only inform myself along this transitional journey, but will become a useful guide to future practitioners wishing to learn about becoming a teacher, both on the BAPP programme and beyond.

After blogging my questions, I took them to a fellow practitioner outside the BAPP programme in an attempt to develop them further. This was a great excersise that enabled me to really grasp the concept of questioning for reasearch and the planning that would have to go into such a process. Being clear and concise was one point discovered, however the way in which you ask a question appeared as a vital consideration too. My Award Rationale and SIG recruitment blog also proved an important sign post to what my area of inquiry could or indeed should be.

However after blogging my questions and conversing with practitioners comments, my journal informed me of, "a feeling of emptiness. I asked the questions and people answered, now what?" (Ahmet, A 2012). There was a sense of no direction, I asked some questions and I got some answers, how was this supposed to lead me to an inquiry. I then found some much needed advice for module two on Adesola's blog post,
These are no
            These are not questions you will be finding answers to!!!!!!! They are questions 
            about something you want to find out more about. Think of your research 
            question as something you want to ask BETTER questions about when you 
            have finished the research NOT something you will have found an answer to 
            when you have finished the research. So maybe look back at the reflective 
            work you have been doing see what keeps interesting you, what keep making
            you excited to work, what you are curious about. This is probably the area you
            could work in (Akinleye, A. 2012).
It helped my open my mind to the idea of not trying to decide on something tangible, rather collect reflections that point to an area of interest. Both for me an for the interest of others. With this in mind and Martyn Denscombe's (2002) of finding a purpose for inquiry and choosing a general area of interest to research, as a good place to start. I began to reflect on what this could be. I was also assured that my questions pointed towards a good area for inquiry, when a a company I believe to be a teacher agency called J and R Tutors, somehow found my blog and left a comment claiming, "These questions are useful for tutors". 

3 comments:

  1. Really good progress Ahmet - I know you are still refining this questioning process - yes you are resolving rather than trying to answer inquiry questions. I think I will throw this idea up on a blog. You are in a very good place to start Part 2 in order to refine your questions maybe to three main ones. Some of the ideas that are separate questions might be more subquestions. We also talked about your literature... you are doing a lot there. I think it is great if your public blog also resonates to others beyond the BAPP Arts network.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really liking the idea of subquestions. I feel that it allows people to look at the question as an area for discussion and gives a sense of opportunity to argue and converse in detail.
    Thanks Paula...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ahmet,

    This is a valuable inquiry for you, other BAPP students and as you so rightly put it, future practitioners who decide to make the transition from performer / actor to teacher.

    I am certain that your findings will also become valuable to all artistes and 'creatives' entering into the realm of teaching. The emotional transition will not be dissimilar, even if the practical elements may differ slightly. One could possibly use the same framework?

    I noticed the comment you quoted above - The power of Web 2.0! In which case there are more potential connections to be made...

    I have found the questioning a real positive challenge, understanding that we do not yet require answers, but to seek opportunities for our inquiry.

    I still have a stumbling block which I am hoping Part 5 will help me with. Although I have ideas for my inquiry, I have not yet decided a definite route.

    I am going to enjoy reading about your journey and offering as much information and thoughts as I can...
    Best Wishes,
    Jo


    ReplyDelete