Friday 23 March 2012

3rd Campus Session

The sun was shining and the daffodils were in full bloom at Trent Park yesterday, the journey to campus is becoming more comfortable as I attend more. There is a real sense of community brewing between the module, it's becoming therapeutic to see and share ideas/feelings about the course, this is bringing a sense of belonging to my studies on the course.

We began talking through part 3 and explored the 4 tasks on the networked professional. Before no time, a debate had began, we all had our own experience of our current networks and we began to discuss the reasons why we as practitioners network. It was agreed that using a variety of networking tools as appose to just one, could suggest a diversity in you network. It is about not putting all you eggs into one basket and reaching out beyond your own world, thus becoming less vulnerable in your professional position, no one wants their career in the hands of just one person. We then moved on to the sense of a shared responsibility, the idea that one gives time to invest in a contact and this usually comes back to you. The trap would be to give to your network to expect a certain out come, thinking of it more as re-energising your ideas and giving time to your practice would be more beneficial.

We then broke of into groups to create a map of our current networks. My group stuck with the theme of the eggs in a basket, and symbolically mapped out our 'coneggtions' that could be placed in out network basket. This exercise gave us an important realisation and was good food for a discussion. We noticed that after spending considerable time on the map, it actually contained very little professional networks. This eventually made us realise that as a practitioner of the arts, it can be difficult to separate personal and professional relationships, this is a passion after all not just a job. After a long discussion about the benefits of this separation, we created a second networking map, that focused purely on our professional networks. We tried to keep it neat and presentable, but found that most individual networks and contacts were interlinked in some way, this very quickly brought to our attention the importance of the connections between your networks, not only with you, but with each network. There is no one 'right' way to network, the only thing to really do is accept that as a practitioner one must network.  




3 comments:

  1. Hi Ahmet.Yes it was good to see everyone on the course and to catch up. Personally I find our time together motivating and re-assuring. It is good to know that others also share similar concerns with time management for the course, planning and completitng tasks. That is why the campus sessions, as well as this blog have become so important. As a tool for networking and sharing ideas. I did like your symobolic network 'putting all your eggs into one basket'. If you remember our's was a universe, where the more important people were closer to the centre and the more distant collegues further away in another solar system. This brought to my realisation that some people are too distant from me at the moment, perhaps I do not see them very oftern or they inspired my past and have are not currently been featured in my present deveolpment. However, many of these people have inspired or nutured me to become who I am today. I must strive to make more time and to 'give' back to these people. Hopefully bringing them closer to me into my network's inner circle. What is your paln of action following on from this session on networking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gemma, it is important to give time to people in your network, so well done for this realisation. My plan is to grow/move my network and connect with more teachers, like yourself. I have a wide network of performers and I have started to create a contact list of teachers, but ideally his would grow in order to help support my career transition. It is hard to find ex-performer teachers, especially ones that are as exited about the job as I am and want to share their knowledge with me.

      Delete
  2. Ahmet, I always appreciate your summaries of the campus sessions, as I'm unable to attend them. So thank-you.

    JP :)

    ReplyDelete